Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Writing essays with a faulty memory.

The other day, my dad read the post I originally had up about a babysitting fiasco I had when I was 14. The boy I was watching split his head open and had stitches at the local hospital before his mom came home. I SWORE my dad had stayed at the house with me while my mom took the ambulance to the hospital, but my dad said he went with my mom in the car to the hospital while I stayed home because they wouldn't let her ride in the ambulance. So I pulled the blog post down because I am now questioning the effectiveness of my memory. I was dead wrong. How could I have been so wrong? Why did I remember the story that way?

So, I'm writing a collection of essays because there's no time like the present, and I'm currently writing about my shitty prom experience, and I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to remember dialogue from 1991 to create scenes. This is a problem I've considered for a long time. I barely remember what happened a year ago in detail let alone something that happened when I was 17, and I was never consistent with journal writing.

I am KICKING myself for finally throwing away all the notes my friends wrote to me in high school. I even threw away a giant box of notes my first boyfriend wrote to me when he was sitting in Saturday school. Why did I do that?! I was trying to "clean house" and didn't think I needed them. Silly me.

So, how do you write a memoir when your memory isn't all that great, but you have a story to tell? I guess I'll find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment